Looking to start a blog? You’ve come to the right place.
Here are my tips for creating a healthy, vibrant and interesting blog that will catch attention. These ideas have helped to get my blog read on all 6 inhabitable continents, in 21 countries last year and in more than 50 countries already this year.
- Read other blogs. Particularly read blogs with subject matter similar to what you want to write. It gives you valuable insight into what does and doesn’t work well when it comes to content, design, and what people are willing to share on social media.
- Engage in the comments on those blogs. This gets you on the radar of other notable bloggers and blog readers.
- Link to other blogs/blog posts on your blog.
- Keep content short and easy to read.
- Share your new blog posts on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+)
- Add a picture/image to every new blog post.
- Don’t share the blog web address with others until you have at least 5 good posts up.
- Have a great, easy to read ABOUT page.
- Make it easy for people to subscribe to your blog. This is easiest to do with email – build an email list. You want people get your posts in their inbox. You need to wow people with your content. Without the “wow” factor, people won’t subscribe and won’t stay.
- Limit yourself to 4 or so main categories for blog post topics. Make sure your content fits under these main categories.
- Post at least once a week. This helps to keep your blog traffic steady. (I post less frequently, but most bloggers report receiving better traffic when posting more often.)
- Connect with other people in industries like yours using social media. If they have a blog, share some of their content online, mentioning them in your posts or tweets.
- Google is your best friend. Don’t know how to do something? Looking for topic ideas? Want to read blogs in your subject area? Need troubleshooting info? Google it. It’s out there. And tons of other great blogging information.
- Just start. Don’t wait until you have the perfect game plan. You will learn tons along the way. That’s how it happened with me. It won’t all happen overnight, but once you start, you will only get better. I promise.
- Basically, you want your blog to be a resource. Make your content as good, helpful, easy to read, easy to share, and as error-free as possible. That will keep people coming back. Add value. That’s the ultimate goal.
Broken down into simple steps, here’s my blog building template.
- I wanted to blog.
- I started.
- I focused on creating great content.
- I read other bloggers.
- I googled stuff I wanted to learn.
- I repeated steps 3-5.